Re: Status of revivesa

On Feb 18,  9:33am, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius wrote:
} Quentin Garnier <cube%cubidou.net@localhost> wrote:
} > > Or, does the "compatibility problem" only affect chroot environments
} > > where any base libraries must not be updated?
} >
} > Yes.  But all of that has already been discussed, you know.  You could
} > have read the archives.
} >
} > The thing is, system administrators, which is our target in this
} > discussion, please keep that in mind, tend to be rather conservative
} > when it comes to upgrading machines.  The more conservative they can be,
} > the happier they will be.
}
} Well, such "conservatism" could be called "laziness". Fair enough, and

     This is complete and utter crap.  It demonstrates that you don't
have any clue about the administration of production systems.
Something that you have demonstrated on several ocassions in the past,
so you might wish to refrain from making comments about system
administration.

} understandable. However, it does not mean that we should taint kernel with
} 3000+ lines (which invade all threading, and even mutex implementation) to
} support very specific compatibility needs. But yes, from my daily practise,
} often administrators just ignore software engineering points..

     This is also crap.  It is more the case of "software engineers"
(i.e.  academicians) ignoring the real world.  Software does not exist
in a vacuum.  It must meet the needs of real people in the real world.
Otherwise, it is just a useless toy.

} Looking at real world, business and administrators somehow survive with

     You have no idea what the real world is like.

} systems which break compatibility often. For critical production systems,
} quality assurance / testing people provide entire upgrade plan, etc. That

     This would be the case in a large corporation, but it certainly
doesn't represent small and medium size businesses which have the same
need for quality reliable systems.

} does not mean we should stop doing good job on compatibility support, but
} read my first paragraph again.

     Read my response again.

}-- End of excerpt from Mindaugas Rasiukevicius