Re: Status of revivesa

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:56:05 +0100
Mindaugas Rasiukevicius <rmind%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:

> > > Once you release 5.0 without revive-sa you have screwed the users
> > > who want to upgrade from 4.x to 5.0. Adding it to 5.1 or
> > > announcing that you are going to add it in 5.1 wil just hurt the
> > > adoption of 5.0 or just hurt the users who will not wait.
> >
> > In the perfect world?
> >
> > How many users will actually be screwed seriously with SA,
> > rather than pleased by advantages on other features?
> >
> > Which actual application is expected to be run on 5.0 with revivesa
> > in the real world?  Is it really expected to work without any
> > benchmark?
>
> We had accidentally broken libpthread compatibility (after move of
> some functionality to librt) in -current. It was noticed 6 months
> later, by one developer. So extent of the problem is probably not
> that large.

I had a serious issue that I believe is related to threads; I was about
to post about it.

Briefly, I upgraded a -current system across some magic boundary that
broke Perl.  Fine; I expected that.  But that left things in a state
where I couldn't cleanly pkg_delete perl -- it deleted some stuff
from /var/db/pkg, but not all.  So -- 'make install' wouldn't work,
because perl was there.  'make replace' and 'make update' wouldn't
work, because it wasn't there.  And pkg_info simply dropped core.

This happened on two different machines...