Re: Status of revivesa

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 08:34:12PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> martin%duskware.de@localhost wrote:
>
> Anyway, we should have certain benchmarks on revivesa as
> regression tests (not for performance) as Andrew did on 1:1
> http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/tech-kern/2007/09/28/0014.html
> and I'm afraid it can't be done in a reasonable period
> for the next release.

We do have regression tests, specifically the ones from 4.X. And revivesa
is passing all of them. And has been for quite a while.

We have a simple named regression test which is to run named w/o a
configuration file. It should exit complaining about no config file. We
have this "test" due to testing & messages on this list.

In my test env, the 4.X named is almost always fine(*). Manuel's 3.X named
(9.3.0) with a 3.X libpthread (in a chroot) is NOT fine. However the same
named binary is fine when not in a chroot, i.e. with the 4.X libpthread.

named is dying with an illegal instruction error, and I'm getting a core
that gdb can't do much with.

(*) by almost fine, I mean that after boot, all repeated invocations of
/usr/sbin/named run fine. My boot logs show that the first invocation, at
boot, crashed.

I think the problem is that something's wrong with how user contexts are
handled in upcall delivery. This _used_ to work, so I'm not sure what
changed to trigger the problem.I am also not sure what's different to
cause repeated applications with the 4.1 libpthread to not have problems
that the 3.0 libpthread barfs on.

I would appreciate debugging assistance. The exact specifics of upcall
delivery are things that I'd hoped to leave as-was & have work. It is the
one area I'm not too strong at.

Note: AFAIK we have no panics or DOS regressions in the SA code relative
to 4.X. As such, we could merge revivesa and continue debugging on HEAD.
I've forgotten the specifics of the release plan we had in mind, but we
coudl do this in order to un-block 6.0 feature work.

Take care,

Bill