Re: Status of revivesa

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 08:46:36PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 06:23:24PM +0200, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> > Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> >
> > >  If 5.0 is so delayed, some other *BSD guys will take our WAPBL code and
> > >  will claim "we are the first OS which has FFS journaling in the release."
> >
> > Already available in FreeBSD 7 (though nothing to do with WAPBL):
> >
> >   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/geom-gjournal.html
>
> It doesn't compare to WAPBL at all.

To make this clear: gjournal implements a journaled block device, which
is conceptionally similiar to filesystem journaling, but can't replace
it nor is it intended do. It is just a similiar, but different problem.

One major difference is that it simply can't avoid the fsck after a
crash. It doesn't know about fileysystem internals for once.

Joerg