Re: Status of revivesa

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 05:22:21PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:

> "Holding up 5.0 is not helping anyone".  Nonsense - what will become
> 5.0 has had more testing than any other NetBSD release to date.  This
> is due to the code freeze.  I'm not aware of any thaw in it, but
> maybe, as 5.0 release manager, I'm the last to know about these
> things.

Literally tens of thousands of lines of new code -- including some major
new features, and kernel changes which have required tens of man-hours
at my shop, at least, to integrate back into our local sources based on
what we thought would be 5.0 -- have gone in since the code freeze.

I know you have limited options available to *enforce* a code freeze.
But I think it is sadly plain to see that the tree has been less and
less frozen over time, and also that some developers never really treated
it as frozen in the first place, which is particularly frustrating.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost