Re: Status of revivesa

        The point is not whether the new features outweigh the pain of having
to upgrade binaries linked against SA libraries.  The point is that up until
now, NetBSD releases have always supported running older binaries, along
with their binary libraries, without complaint.  Releasing 5.0 without SA
support would violate this tradition in a major way.  Since NetBSD users
would expect this tradition to continue, and since, if they're like me, they
rely on it in order not to have to upgrade certain userland environments
even as the underlying OS moves with the times and the hardware, breaking
this tradition would hurt our standing in the community in a big way that
couldn't be calculated.  I believe NetBSD is a niche OS, but I think it's
used a lot in embeded environments, and my guess is that those
manufacturers who produce those products based on NetBSD like the fact that
binaries continue to work year after year, even as they retool for changes
in hardware.  Other OS projects don't seem to worry much about binary
backward compatibility and it is one of the things that sets NetBSD apart.
Setting that aside would remove that differentiation, and that, is a big
deal!
-Brian