Re: Status of revivesa

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 14:56:05 +0100, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius wrote:

> We had accidentally broken libpthread compatibility (after move of some
> functionality to librt) in -current. It was noticed 6 months later, by one
> developer. So extent of the problem is probably not that large.

current is special in that current usage patterns are quite different
from release usage patterns.  some people may be following current on
sacrificial test machines only where they don't have much packages
installed, or they may be upgrading their current en mass (kernel,
userland, all packages), etc.  Those usage patterns may well hide the
incompatible change.  E.g. another indirect libpthread breakage was
silent libstdc++ ABI change, and it went unnoticed for quite a while
too (for the same reasons, I guess).

SY, Uwe
--
uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost                       |       Zu Grunde kommen