Re: revivesa status 2008/07/09

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 02:04:16PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Andrew Doran wrote:
>
> >In its current form SA threading is a regressive proposition. Even if all
> >the remaining issues are addressed, what benefits would it bring over and
> >above 1:1 threading?
>
>       As I understand it there are two factors in favour of keeping SA:
>
>       - There was a report of a significant performance gain on single
>         core embedded arm32

I have heard similar stories put about but I have not seen any test cases
posted. Without evidence I find it difficult to classify them as anything
other than myth based on myth.

>       - If we keep SA for 5.0 it allows people to run a 4.0 userland
>         on a 5.0 kernel while upgrading (and makes COMPAT_40 useful).

That's not something that we support. Admittedly there is no public
statement to that effect, as far as I am aware.

Thanks,
Andrew