Re: NetBSD LVM GSOC project

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:01:23PM +0200, Adam Hamsik wrote:

> Hi, folks
>
> This I have applied to Google Summer of Code with Write and improve
> NetBSD LVM driver application.
>
> Linux LVM is done with two parts userland and kernel.
>
> Userland part is lvm2tools + libdevmapper
> Kernel part is kernel driver called device-mapper I keep device-mapper
> sources available at [2].
>
> Actual status of NetBSD device-mapper driver is this:
>
> I have working linear target. It is possible to create ffs filesystem
> on linear device-mapper
> device and mount it. With help from reinoud@ I have rewritten big part
> of device-mapper so now
> we can write other targets like strip, mirror, crypt etc.. .

Adam,

What code do you think that you can re-use in the kernel?  It seems
that the features of the virtual block device, dm(4), and its "targets"
may overlap ccd(4), cgd(4), dk(4), and raid(4), but especially raid(4).
Do you think that LVM needs much more help from the kernel than those
devices already provide?

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24