Re: MODULAR: Add support for load-time options

Catching up on old mail...

On Feb 9, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Andrew Doran wrote:

Cool. One of the main things that I'd like to see is the kernel being able to load modules without intervention from userspace. When discussing the
module stuff with Jared one of his ideas was that we could include
properties in the file system alongside the module, eg 'module' and
'module.prop' or whatever.

Package things up together as a "bundle". Modules, at a high-level, are directories, that have a well-defined layout, containing code and other resources. E.g.:

someDriver.kmod/
    someDriver
    someDriver.plist

The path name given to the loader would be someDriver.kmod, and it would take care of getting the underlying bits.

-- thorpej