Re: MODULAR: Add support for load-time options

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 11:39:12PM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> On the subject of version checks, right now NetBSD version numbers look
> something like the following:
>       major.minor.patchlevel
> My thinking is that if minor is 99 then it's a -current kernel/module and
> we'd call the entire version number signficant: if it differs in any way
> don't load the module. If a release branch then we'd check only major, or
> major+minor. I'm open to suggestions..

IMO we should have an ABI version number which would be not tied to
the version and would be incremented every time the ABI changes.

See and

Continuing to use the version as ABI version and ignoring some of its
components on a release branch sound like a bad hack. Especially when we
had to break the ABI even on the release branch.