Re: debugging GENERIC: set better defaults?

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 10:56:23AM -0600, David Young wrote:
> Is there any reason that we do not build all of the GENERIC kernels with
> makeoptions DEBUG="-g" ?  Also, is there any reason that MKCROSSGDB=yes
> is not the default for most/all ports[*]?

I could actually raise the point again if we want to strip kernels by
default. If the kernel isn't build with DEBUG=-g, it doesn't make a
difference. Otherwise, it would be nice to install the debug symbols
either as part of the kernel or copy them into a separate file and
install them into /usr/libdata/debug or whatever.

Please note that a non-debug kernel includes a minimal set of debug
symbols -- enough to provide the most important types, so explicitly
casting global variables to the real type should work.

Joerg