Re: adding newfs_ext2fs and mount_ext2fs to ramdisk flist

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Brian Buhrow
<buhrow%lothlorien.nfbcal.org@localhost> wrote:
>        Hello.  I don't know if it's a lot of trouble, but I wonder if you try
> building a filesystem with -O 0 for pv-grub to boot from rather than ext2fs
> if you will get success?  If so, then you can hav ffs on all filesystems
> and not have to make the requested change.  Plus, it means you can make
> things work  with the existing releases.  The -O 0 flag tells newfs to
> creat 4.3BSD compatible filesystems.  These are compatible with 20 year old
> Sun ROM code, so if pv-grup can understand ffs/ufs filesystems at all, I'm
> guessing it can definitely understand 4.3BSD filesystems.
> -Brian

It can find the kernel on an -O1 filesystem.  Frankly, I forgot _why_
I wanted an ext2 filesystem, but there _was_ a reason, haha.  Pv-grub
is annoying, especially because I have no way of actually verifying
its capabilities, and linux distributions are notorious for patching
this and that.

This should give you some context about my setup:

http://old.nabble.com/Installing-a-NetBSD-DomU-on-a-file-backed-disk-td33997641.html

And that is the _only_ way I have ever gotten this thing to boot,
aside, of course, from booting the install kernel off of the existing
ext3 disk.  I wish I knew what was going on.