some failures in sysinst

This is from sysinst from HEAD fromabout ten days ago.

I chose the Config menu option. Next screen says assume you want to
configure a prior installation. Well I didn't install yet. But says
"enter to continue". If no option to abort, then should just do the
detection step:

The next step is attempt to fsck and command failed with bad super
block. Next screen: It appears is not a BSD file syste ... "upgrade" has
been aborted. Error number 8.

It is not an "upgrade".

Then next screen shows configuration choices "a: Configure network"
through "j: Enable mdnsd".  Then 6 junk error lines overwriting it
(white text on black where other menu is white text on blue):  No such
file ... and ... Could not open /targetroot/tmp/checkrc.sh for writing:
No directory.  (I can press Ctrl-L but regular users would be scared.)

By the way, it said the full install is 31 MB (no X) or 81 MB (with X).
Normally it is around 230MB and 330 MB. Why does it suggest small size?