Re: Enable UFS2, logging by default in sysinst

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 03:32:05PM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 01:18:48PM +0100, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:58:08AM +0000, Andrew Doran wrote:
> > > http://www.netbsd.org/~ad/sysinst.diff
> > >
> > > Any comments? Please Cc: me, I am not subscribed.
> >
> > I'm not commenting on the patch itself, but to the functional changes in it.
> >
> > IMHO only UFS2 should be enabled, keeping logging off by default for
> > the moment.
> > Wabpl is too new to have it enable by default.
>
> I understand, but at what point would you declare it stable? Bear in mind
> that the change applies to -current, not 5.0.

I'm not against to add it, but it was my understanding that you and Joerg (?)
are working on getting it in a more stable state.
I saw your mail, about the ffs fixes, which looks promising, but I don't know
about what Joerg is doing.

What about enabling it one or two weeks after your patches made it into -current
and a few more people have a chance to test -current by then?

> We already know that wapbl is more reliable than softdep, and if we wait as
> long as we did for UFS2 to say "yay verily this is good", we'd be shooting
> ourselves in the foot by not exploiting a feature that's both useful to
> users and useful to the project as a differentiator.

Hmmm, I had other experience with wapbl in 5.99.7, that forced me to disable
it (pr 40472).

Bernd