Re: let's get small

"Erik Berls" <cyber%ono-sendai.com@localhost> writes:

> I don't think the goal was to move them out of base.  I think what's
> wanted is them to have a smaller footprint.  This functionality is
> needed in small systems.  Tho, hardware is catching up.  In some
> places we've got 32M of system RAM!

In some cases, we've only got 32M of system storage. ;)

With judicious building, I believe I've gotten an arm full-system
build down to ~350mb of storage, excluding (of course,) x.  That's a
full system capable of self hosting.

For the systems we would ship, our current workaround is to to build a
'rescue disk' where we select what goes on it. I'm not doing that work
myself, but I believe Todd has gotten it down to 16mb of storage,
including our application, which is our target size. There's not much
on such a system, even crunchgened.