Re: Performance experiences with WRAP Boards?

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 22:03, you wrote:
> > I've nearly decided to get myself a WRAP board to replace my current
> > router.
> >
> > I was told that the CPU power should be more than enough for the intended
> > applications pppoe, nat and ipf as well as dnscache, ntpd and irssi with
> > proxy and perl support. But I'd like to hear some hands-on experience
> > from users with simmilar sets of applications. Any comments?
>
> I'd be interested in that, too.
>
> I'd also like to hear comments on what "light soldering" means when adding
> a USB card...
>

>   - Hubert

From http://www.pcengines.ch/wrusb.htm (Link in "Shop"):

    * Compatible with WRAP.1C / 1D / 1E boards.
    * Origin: Taiwan
    * Some soldering required: install 5x2 pin header (supplied) on WRAP
board.
    * Must install latest BIOS.
    * The 5V regulator on the WRAP board is limited to 100 mA.
    * USB power option 1: use WRAP on-board regulator, limited to 100 mA. This
should be enough for USB flash keys, and when using self-powered hubs.
    * USB power option 2: supply 5V to the WRUSB adapter, should disconnect 5V
going to the WRAP board, or remove the 78L05 regulator on the WRAP board.
    * USB power option 3: modify the WRAP board for 5V ONLY operation. Install
0 ohm resistors (supplied) in locations R101 and R102. 5V DC must be supplied
through the DC jack, Power over Ethernet not recommended.
    * The Geode SC1100 USB controller is USB 1.1.
    * This solution will not fit inside the PC Engines WRAP.1 enclosures.

I replaced the regulater. Since I have a board from the elder generation,
If I remember correctly, I had to cut 1 or 2 trces, add some wires - it worked

--
mit freundlichen Güßen

Richard Kästner
EDV-Beratung