Regional-nyc archive

Re: anyone have a grinder suitable for destroying some old tapes?

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 19:28:05 -0500 George Rosamond
<george%ceetonetechnology.com@localhost> wrote:
> Someone gave me a powerful magnet that I ran over the tapes a few
> times. I wasn't going to recheck each one to confirm it worked, but
> then I used an electric drill with a 1/4" bit or so and drilled
> holes across the tape a few times.
>
>  From what I hear, you need to keep the magnet over the tape for a
> bit, but haven't confirmed it.

A fairly steady magnetic field (such as you you'll get by waving a
permanent magnet over the tapes) will do very little on modern tape.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                perry%piermont.com@localhost