Re: Problems booting NetBSD/Xen on Intel NUC 12 Extreme w/ i9-12900

On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 03:04:37PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Johan Stenstam <johani%johani.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > 2. How important is it to keep in exact sync between xenkernelNNN and
> > xentoolsMMM? I.e. assuming I get past the current crash and get a
> > running system with xenkernel415, is it imperative that I find a
> > xentools415 to go with it or would xentools413 be sufficient?
>
> I built xentools415 on March 14, as part of testing what was to become
> 2023Q1.  The host was netbsd-10 (so 10_BETA). I would recommend testing
> with 10 rather than 9 for a new system.
>
> > 3. When trying 10_BETA + xenkernel415 I notice that the distribution
> > doesn?t include the kernel modules,
> > i.e. /stand/amd64-xen/10.0/modules/ is empty. It seems that there is
> > no difference in the .kmods between GENERIC and XEN_DOM0 systems, so I
> > just copied them over. But it surprises me as one of the things that
> > will be much improved with NetBSD 10 is Xen performance, so why then
> > isn?t the distribution kit complete?
>
> It's a bug that you need separate  modules, and my understanding is that
> as of 10, you don't.

AFAIK NetBSD/xen still need separate modules (and I don't think it's going
to change). But as I don't use modules I don't know how they're supposed
to be built.

> > 4. What should I try next to get this running?
>
> The suggestion you received about more RAM is a good one.
>
> There is surely a way to get debugging.  Adding -d to the NetBSD boot
> might help.  It might be possible to use kgdb on serial.

You can also set console=com0 for NetBSD (even if you're not using
a serial console) and vga=current,keep for Xen.
This way Xen will keep control of the vga console when starting the dom0
kernel, and NetBSD will output to the console through Xen.