Re: Stopped in -current, xenkernel411 Dom0 at boot time

On Wed, Jun 03, 2020 at 09:12:17AM -0400, Louis Guillaume wrote:
> > Yes, but I'd like to mention that in a similar situation the USB
> > keyboard I had attached to the laptop didn't work with ddb, whereas
> > the built-in laptop one works. Wouldn't be surprised if this case is
> > the same w/r to the keyboard.
> >

> So yes - the panic did put me in ddb, but the system's frozen. The keyboard
> is unresponsive.

Yes, there are issues with USB keyboard when the kernel needs input.

> I did try going back to netbsd-9, where the Xen dom0 kernel boots up fine.
> But I found myself in a similar situation where I foolishly configured my
> raidframe with -A root and forgot to actually put any filesystem on it, so
> "boot" got stuck prompting for the root device - And the USB keyboard was
> unresponsive the same way. I had to PXE boot and un-configure the raid
> device.
>
> I believe this issue is in kern/53599, except I don't get any device at all
> as the console keyboard.
>
> # dmesg|egrep "(pckbc|console)"
> [     1.000003] wsdisplay0 at vga0 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100
> emulation)
> [     1.000003] pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x64
> [     1.000003] autoconfiguration error: pckbc: cmd word write error

the USB keyboard is not found ?
Maybe there's bios options for keyboard emulation ?

> The machine doesn't have a keyboard port (other than USB). If the USB
> keyboard is too risky for a console, does the same thing apply to a USB
> serial console?

NetBSD doesn't support USB serial as console, maybe Xen does.
For serial console, NetBSD doens't access the hardware but uses Xen's
services. Xen support serial console on PCI expansion cards.

I'm not familiar with this, as I only use Xen with serial console and
all by systems have com0 serial port.