Re: drop xen4.8 ?

On Wed, 2019-12-18 at 10:18 +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Tue, 17 Dec 2019 15:29:22 -0500
>     From:        Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>
>
>   | So: Is anyone running other than 4.11?  Why?
>
> I'm running 4.2 on a DomU running a 6.99.30 kernel and 6.99.23
> userland (approximately, it has had some piecemeal updates).
>
> amd64 everywhere, except that I occasionally might run an i386-PAE
> DomU
> just to test something in 32 bit mode.
>
> Why?  Combination of inertia, and not breaking what is working
> (and the difficulty of doing upgrades to that particular system
> which these days I visit perhaps once or twice a year, for a few
> minutes - unless something breaks, in which case fixing it is more
> important than upgrading).
>
> But what is in pkgsrc has no real impact on that - Xen 4.2 packages
> are installed (and on backup media), and won't vanish merely because
> they're no longer in pkgsrc.   If I ever reached the stage where
> circumstances force me to reinstall anything, that would provoke a
> more
> serious upgrade across the board.
>
> kre

Slight OT,

I'm curious to know a user PoV of our Xen support vs. native nvmm
support.

For me, the current win for Xen is:
- supports older hardware (my dual core laptop x200 series)
- mem ballooning
- acpi sleep (with linux dom0 and NetBSD PV)

The no win is:
- no gui (no drm) (partly my fault)
- no dom0 SMP (partly my fault)
- no acpi sleep (not nvmm's fault - native support is broken).

Any other thoughts ?

Thanks,

Cherry