Re: Can't boot Xen on -current

On 2017-05-04 12:47 PM, Andreas Gustafsson wrote:
D'Arcy Cain wrote:
I sent this a few days ago but it hasn't shown up yet.  Perhaps my
attachment was too big.  I removed it and made it available here
instead: http://darcy.vex.net/XenFail.jpg

Looks like PR 50446, "dom0 kernel panics at boot attaching agp", though
I would have expected that to affect both 7_0_1_PATCH and -current.

Yes, that's the message I refer to below.

I am running Xen 4.6 on both a production NetBSD_7_0_1_PATCH system and
-current as of the last day or so.  Everything seems OK on the release
kernel but it fails to boot as per the attached screen shot.  The
keyboard is dead at that point so pressing a key to view more doesn't
work.  I tried Xen 4.6 as well as 4.8.  Same problem.  Here is my
boot.cfg line:

menu=Boot Xen:load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0.gz console=pc;multiboot /xen.gz
dom0_mem=256M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin

I saw some messages about disabling apg but does that make sense if you
actually have an agp card?  I tried it anyway and it still failed.

Does it fail in the same way, with agpattach() in the backtrace?
Disabling agp works for me, but I don't have an agp card, and I don't
use the onboard video either since the machine has a serial console.

Yes.

Serial console would be nice but serial ports seem to have gone the way of the dodo.

Here's a scary idea. I should build a Xen client on a NetBSD_7_0_1_PATCH system and install a -current Xen server on it. Then I can examine the console output much easier.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost