NetBSD/amd64 7.0 domU freezes while running pbulk.sh (was Re: Raspberry Pi 2, nfs mount hangs after some time)

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015, Emile `iMil' Heitor wrote:

I'm trying to get rid of those hangs for weeks now, tried every mount flag
combination without success, the system would freeze randomly, leaving the whole OS unresponsive. There's no log, no kernel message, the domU actually responds
to network solicitations (ping, telnet 22...) but once it's frozen, it is
impossible to run any command, it will just hang.

The exact same setup is successfully running since Sept 2014 on
NetBSD 6.1/amd64.

Any idea how to get some valuable information to help tracking down this
awful behaviour?

A bit of follow-up. I've been trying many workarounds during the past weeks, and
right now I'm not convinced it even is an NFS problem.
I've setup a tmpfs bulk build directory, and even that way, NetBSD 7.0 would
freeze randomly after a couple of minutes while processing `pbulk.sh'.
What I can say:

- the server is a fresh diskless NetBSD 7.0 domU (PXE/NFS)
- there's not a single information about the freeze, not even in the console
- I've only witnessed those freezes when calling `pbulk.sh' (couldn't get
  further anyway)
- cvs co pkgsrc does not freezes, I ran it many times without issues
- the domU stays up for days if no operation is made
- I started this domU on various dom0s to validate this was not a hardware
  problem, always had the same symptoms
- I tried a custom 7.0_STABLE kernel without success

If this issue _is_ NFS related, which I doubt now, it is then read-related, as
the build is done in tmpfs.

Again, as there's no log at all, what would help debugging this behaviour?

Emile `iMil' Heitor * <imil@{home.imil.net,NetBSD.org,gcu.info}>
                                                              _