Re: SOLVED: Installing FreeBSD 8 as domU

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 08:20:36PM +0100, Hugo Silva wrote:
> On 05/31/11 19:12, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > No, you have to leave ioemu for the disk, or the domU won't boot
> > (the HVM BIOS uses ioemu to load the kernel).
> > You have to remove it for vifs, or the domU kernel will panic
> >

> I always leave ,ioemu out on my configs, the domU boots up fine.
> Forgive my ignorance, I have seen this 'ioemu' stuff mentioned a lot and
> even used it at some point, but never found a good explanation. Would
> you elaborate?

Are you sure you use a HVMPV kernel then, and not plain PV loaded directly
by Xen ?
AFAIK, the BIOS started in the HVM domU, as well as the OS bootloader started
from this BIOS, only knows how to access the virtual disk via the emulated
PCIIDE controller. If you start a HVM domU with no ioemu virtual disk,
then the HVM's BIOS doesn't have a disk to boot from.