Re: netbsd-5 i386 PAE dom0 + hvm domU winxp?

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:13:28PM +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
> Also, I seem to have several backup processes stuck.. not related to the hvm
> domain, though.  Looks as if network connections between dom0 and domU were
> extremely slow or something.  The backups started on Sunday are still in
> progress .. bit by bit. :-I

This seems to be a problem of our NetBSD 4.0 firewall/router.  We have
configured pf to limit the bandwidth used by the backups and with the
upgraded server, something does not work right in the router.  Data flows
at less than 10 KB/s.  If I disable the bandwidth limiting, backups work
again (but our poor ARM based router suffers from extremely high interrupt
load).  I'm now limiting backup bandwidth by piping the data through a
simple program.

Two new questions have popped up:

Is it normal that running, say, bzip2 in dom0, slows down domU's quite
a lot?  I'm compressing a large file and the hvm domain is now so slow
that I thought it had died..

I tried envstat on dom0, but the process entered D state and it never seems
to recover.  Wchan is tstile.  I have ipmi on the motherboard and it seems
to be enabled in DOM0 kernels by default..  I think envstat worked in NetBSD
4.0, I wonder why it gets stuck in 5.0_STABLE?

  -jm