Re: xen and networking problems

Manuel Bouyer writes:
 > OK, so as I understant it, fxp works with a PAE kernel too, but only
 > if there's 4GB or less RAM in the system ?

Yes, networking works with all combinations of kernels with <4GB RAM.
Packet receipt does not work (but transmission does) with xen/PAE
kernels with >4GB RAM.

 > If so then it's probably an issue with bus_dma(9) not being used
 > properly.

 > As it's i386-only, a non-PAE kernel will never use ram above 4GB. So
 > it's not PAE ws non-PAE, it's really the 4Gb limit that triggers the
 > issue.

Yes.

 > The bus_dma(9) usage in fxp needs to be audited. I've tested i386PAE on
 > a system with 8GB RAM and various devices, without problems. Unfortunably
 > I don't have a add-on fxp to test.

Can you give any guidance on how to audit the usage of bus_dma(9)?  I
am happy to try patches if someone can provide them but doesn't have
suitable hardware.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook