Re: xen and networking problems

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 02:57:29PM -0700, Brook Milligan wrote:

> Clearly, the combination of PAE support and >4GB memory triggers the
> problems.  Does this mean that xen is not really supporting PAE or
> that the hardware is not really correct or that there is some specific
> interaction with the network interface or ... ?  How can any of this
> be tested?  In all cases everything about the machine seems to work,
> except for the network interface when PAE support is involved and
> there is >4GB RAM.

It could be the device.  Does it claim to support 64-bit DMA (dual address
cycle)?  If not, we should never be feeding it 64-bit addresses; we should
always be bouncing (the x86 PCI code is supposed to take care of this
automatically).  But if so, maybe the device's DAC support is broken;
try whacking the pci code to bounce all transfers > 4GB and see wha
happens, would be my suggestion -- it is pretty easy to test.

Thor