vnd storage on NFS -> panic

What is the general consensus on best practice for shared storage between dom0s? i.e. I would like bring up the domU on a different machine if required.

I have NetBSD 5.0_STABLE dom0s (a mixture of i386 PAE and amd64) with Xen 3.3.2. I recall that there are issues with sparse vnd files on ffs, but thought sparse files on NFS was OK. I created a 10G sparse file on NFS and then attempted to use that for a NetBSD i386 domU (amd64 dom0 with 8GB RAM and wm(4) as network cards). On the first domU disk write (disklabel from sysinst), the dom0 panicked:

panic: kernel diagnostic assertion "pg != NULL" failed: file "/usr/src/5.0/sys/uvm/uvm_pager.c", line 524

--
Stephen