Re: Using XEN without grub

On Wednesday 29 July 2009 10:01:49 Robert Elz wrote:
> In Sept last year, Robert Swindells sent patches to boot to
> allow it to book XEN without requiring grub.
>
> I have always avoided XEN, not because of any problem with it,
> but because I simply detest grub...
>
> Now I have a real use for XEN, and would like to install it - it
> looks as if Robert Swindells' patches were committed last October,
> so in theory I should be able to install xen (NetBSD only, right now
> I don't care if other OS's will work or not) without needing grub.
>
> However, the NetBSD-XEN "howto" still seems to require grub, and has
> no info that I could see on getting things installed without it.
>
> Does anyone have a clue to offer (or even perhaps update the howto) ?
> (That is, on whatever should be done instead of the complex grub
> config the howto now includes).

In /boot.cfg add a line like this:

menu=Boot Xen (serial console):load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0
console=com0;multiboot /usr/pkg/xen3-kernel/xen.gz console=com1
com1=115200,8n1
menu=Boot Xen (vga):load /netbsd-XEN3_DOM0
console=pc;multiboot /usr/pkg/xen3-kernel/xen.gz console=vga

For more information see the boot.cfg(5) manpage.

Christoph