Re: recommendations for a Xen/NetBSD box?

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:16:03PM +1100, Carl Brewer wrote:
> >No, only netbsd-current amd64. A system with 32bit physical addresses can't
> >make use of 6GB RAM.
> >
> >>If I'm happy to just use 4GB (really 3 after losses from the dom0 etc) I
> >>can do this with NetBSD 4.0 i386 and/or NetBSD 4.0 amd64 as the dom0?
> >
> >NetBSD 4.0 i386. There is no support for xen in NetBSD 4.0/amd64
>
> Ok.  So basically to use the 6GB, I need the dom0 to be -current amd64,
> and then I can use domU's that are xen and PAE-aware

or xen/amd64 aware

> and/or run xen in
> HVM mode for those that aren't.

Yes, that's it.

> I'm sorry if this is going over things
> slowly!
> Is there any doco online for how to use HVM in xen?

I think there's some words about it in the howto. You'll have to
install xentools3-hvm, which comes with example files.

> That might be a
> suitable approach for now, assuming amd64-current is stable, and are

I have some dom0s running amd64-current, and they didn't crash :)

> there any ISO's of amd64-current handy?

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/
for each date, you should have an amd64/ and an iso/ directories (unless
the build failed)

> I take it -current will end up NetBSD 5, not 4.1 or similar and thus is
> quite some time away from even thinking about a release?

Yes.

Manuel.Bouyer%lip6.fr@localhost