My netbd config file has:
====
kernel = "/netbsd-INSTALL_XEN3_DOMU"
memory = 256
name = "netbd"
#cpu = -1   # leave to Xen to pick
#nics = 1
vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:50:02:f0, bridge=bridge0' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/wd0f,0x01,w', 'phy:/dev/cd0a,0x2,r' ]
root = "/dev/wd0a"
===

/dev/wd0f is not mounted and is available

I've tried without a mac and no change.
I also tried without the root line (thought the comments in the How To seem to indicate it is required. I also tried with /dev/xbd0a buth
with the same results - no booting messages when starting.

Yeah, the root line is unrelated to the problem. The line will be ignored by a NetBSD domu. The line is required for a linux domu.

For NetBSD I think the bootdev= option has been added but still, you don't need to specify it unless you are doing something non-generic.

I wonder if there is a problem with the DOMU kernel - I do see in xen info
about loading it.

It looks like you just figured out the issue in another email.

AFAIA ballooning is not supported in a NetBSD dom0 yet ... I don't believe you need to mess with any linux emulation for everything that _will_ function _to_ funtion.

Sarton