Re: Running multiple DomUs on a VT-capable CPU

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:06:42PM +0200, Marcin Michal Jessa wrote:
Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:53:28AM +0200, Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
Hi guys

My laptop has Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7400 @ 2.16GHz which is a VT-capable processor and I was thinking of running DomU on it with NetBSD 4.0 and run virtual OSs from there.
So in order to access my domUs I would have to run VNC server , right ?
Or is there a more intuitive way to just switch to console running a DomU host ?
No, you have to use vnc for your domU's console (or the native X11 display)
Is 3D acceleration available in remote sessions?

Not that I know

See: http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~andreslc/xen-gl/

I have a test pkg nearly complete.

Also, it may be possible with XF4VNC.

What if I had two graphics cards, could I map one DomU to use a specific
card
and display it on one screen?

Maybe, but I guess it depends on the cards. These are not "normal" PCI devices,
as they also map some ISA-space registers to be compatible with plain VGA.
Some can work without theses, some can't ...

Or could I map one of the DomUs to the main gfx card after dom0 started
it and run X session from it?

I'm almost sure this won't work, because of the VGA registers which are
in ISA space. If you can use a VGA card in a domU, I think is has to be
another card than the one used by BIOS

There are some reports of the two grapics card approach working. See the first "Cool Configuration" in the Xen WIKI:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/CoolConfigurations

This does depend on PCI passthrough.

--
John R. Shannon, CISSP