Re: domU kernel with pci support

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 03:38:04PM +0200, Florian Heigl wrote:
Hi list and manuel :)

I'd like to know if there is a specific reason (expect memory footprint)
why the domU-kernels don't have pci* at hypervisor? bus ?

The reason is memory footprint. If you wnty lots of domains on a system you
won't have much ram per domain. Adding all PCI drivers will nearly double
the size of the kernel. Also, the common case is a domain without PCI access.
If you don't want to build your own kernel, you can just use a dom0 kernel on a domU, and it will have PCI support. I would recommend, though, building a custom kernel to avoid wasting resources ;)