Re: domU kernel with pci support

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 03:38:04PM +0200, Florian Heigl wrote:
> Hi list and manuel :)
>
> I'd like to know if there is a specific reason (expect memory footprint)
> why the domU-kernels don't have
> pci*            at hypervisor? bus ?

The reason is memory footprint. If you wnty lots of domains on a system you
won't have much ram per domain. Adding all PCI drivers will nearly double
the size of the kernel. Also, the common case is a domain without PCI access.

> support. Could we discuss including pci bus, controller, bridge support
> in the default kernel and relying on LKM's for the device specific drivers?

We don't have LKMs for PCI drivers yet.

> Also, on my box it would appear I also need
> pci*                  at pchb? bus ?
> pchb*         at pci? dev ? function ?        # PCI-Host bridges
> to fulfill most of the build-time dependencies. (some seem still to be
> amiss?!)

Can you give more details ? I didn't need pchb in my config file, when I added
PCI support to domU.