Re: vax wscons setting questions

On Sun, Feb 04, 2024 at 03:35:07PM +0100, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> > > I think we no longer use pty in /dev (using ptyfs instead)
> > > so there is no conflict, but I wonder if it's worth for vax
> > > to use ttyE[0-7] for wscons in ttys(5) and remove "vt0" target
> > > for ttyw[0-7] from MAKEDEV.
> > I don't know what VAX model you're using, but my 4k90 uses ttyE[0-7] for
> > wscons. All ttyw[0-7] are commented out in /etc/ttys, but then there's a
> > comment above those indicating they are for VAXstation 3100
> > framebuffers?
> You must have done that yourself then, because MAKEDEV.conf says ttyE is
> dmf32 :-)

It is indeed possible that I did that when I was working on lcspx. The
(unused) device nodes are dated Dec. 2009, which is plausible.

Looking at etc.vax/MAKEDEV.conf, it seems pretty much all uppercase and
most lowercase letters are used by all the different serial interfaces
supported on VAXen...

So I guess it isn't quite as simple as changing DMF32 to use a different
letter :)

Hans

--
%SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown