Re: PSA: Clock drift and pkgin

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> > > ntp starts out with an interval of 64s, and backs off to 1024 eventuall,
> > > over
> > > time, if things are stable. In this case things aren't stable, but it
> > > seems to
> > > never have locked on to anything. So it's just been drifting the whole
> > > time,
> > > it looks to me.
> >
> >   As per my previous reports it was synced up from Dec 13th until a couple
> > days ago.
>
> Are you sure about that?
> Looking at the offset, it would seem that it just kept moving away. Did you
> get the syncing indicator on some server, and just cut it out in your pasting?

 As I wrote in my previous messages I kept track of it from Dec 13th, this
was the whole point of this experiment.  I was quite surprised it took
`ntpd' a whole week to get out of sync, I expected it would be a day or
so.

 I didn't run through `tee', and earlier records scrolled off already, so
I can't bring them back.  I just copied and pasted with a mouse what I
still had on the virtual terminal, adding the most recent record from
today separately.

 Proper NTP stats would be better, but I won't rerun before patching up
the kernel; I have other stuff to do now.

  Maciej