Re: PSA: Clock drift and pkgin

On Thu, 2023-12-21 13:58:21 +0100, Johnny Billquist <bqt%softjar.se@localhost> wrote:
> On 2023-12-21 13:53, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > >
> > > Unless I remember wrong, delay is merely how long it takes for packets to
> > > travel back and forth to the ntp server. So it has no relation to jitter or
> > > offset. It would rather be weird if delay suddenly started changing.
> >
> > delay is ... "ping time".  jitter is a measure of how much ping times
> > differ to each other.
>
> Right for delay. But no for jitter. Jitter is, unless I remember wrong,
> comparison between your local clock and the server clock, and how much they
> are shifting around compared to each other. It has nothing to do with ping
> times.
>
> And jitter have to get low for ntp to start syncing, since it's not possible
> to do any kind of syncing if local time is moving around too much compared
> to server time. It becomes impossible to tell how local time should be
> modified in such a case.

Referring to https://kb.meinbergglobal.com/kb/time_sync/ntp/ntp_basics
("Checking ntpd's Time Adjustment Performance"), it lists:

delay	The mean packet delay, in milliseconds. This is the mean
	execution time required to send a read request to the time
	source, and receive the reply from that source.

offset	The mean time offset, in milliseconds.

jitter	The time jitter, in milliseconds. This indicates how much
	packet delays from individual pollings vary from the mean
	packet delay.

But to tell for sure, we'd have to dive in into ntpd's code to prepare
`ntpq`'s `peers` data.

MfG, JBG