Re: qe0: xmit logic died, resetting...

On 2023-09-17 18:56, Paul Koning wrote:

On Sep 16, 2023, at 8:24 PM, Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> wrote:

qe0: xmit logic died, resetting...

Well, I just got that...on an emulated machine.

What emulation?

My own.  I would cheerfully send anyone interested the DEQNA emulation
code, or indeed the whole thing - though I've never tried it on a stock
system, so _someone_ should probably test it on stock NetBSD.  I'll try
to dig up some spare hardware to install a stock system on.

It would be interesting to see if it fails also in SIMH vax.

DEQNA was a notorious troublemaker, enough so that DEC gave up on it after 12 FCOs, and developed the LQA to replace it.  That one has essentially the same API but an entirely different internal design.

"Gave up" is maybe overstating it a bit. They stopped trying to fix it anymore, and VMS stopped supporting it. RSX, as well as RSTS/E still supports it.

But at least part of the problem is inherent in the API for it. It's a bit unfortunate that they went for what I'm sure was considered simpler than the Unibus controller API, but it would have been better had it had the same programming model as the Unibus ones. But the original DEQNA was too limited in functionality to be able to do that one.

  Johnny