Re: boot issue on NetBSD/vax 8.x and 9.x

On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 at 17:36, Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:

> abs@ wrote:
> > (I wonder how hard it would be to make the bootloader load at a low
> > memory address and then probe memory & relocate itself up high out of
> > the kernel space, though that would probably only be useful for 4M or
> > 6M machines, which is now very much an extreme target for recent
> > NetBSD...)
>
> Maybe keeping it simple is better for maintainability.
>
> For 4MB or 6MB VAXen, maybe using NetBSD 7.2 boot is enough.

On balance it would indeed be a fair amount of complexity for an edge
case. One other (hopefully more useful thought) - it should be easy to
build another copy of boot, set to load at just under 4m and install
as /usr/mdec/boot4m?

Thanks again for the fix (and for remaining polite while someone from
the sidelines keeps asking "but what about ..." :)

David