Re: NetBSD/vax - worth continuing?

Johnny Billquist wrote:
On 2016-09-20 19:03, Paul Koning wrote:

On Sep 20, 2016, at 12:26 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt%softjar.se@localhost> wrote:

GCC isn't all that bad if you're just looking at the back ends,
especially for straightforward machines and instruction sets such as
VAX.

So why is it that we haven't had a working gcc for VAX for maybe 10
years?

While it's not terribly hard, it does require some time and work.
gcc-vax has had a maintainer, but I don't believe he's been able to
spend any significant amount of time on these issues.

I am not going to cast stones; gcc-pdp11 has problems too, and it
would be great if I could get around to curing those.

I didn't intend to throw stones. Any work by anyone is much appreciated.
That's not the issue. I'm just loosing faith in that it's worth spending
any time here. Things have not been working for a long time, and I don't
see much chance of improvements. But gcc is not my biggest issue,
although it is a problem.

Perhaps LiteBSD ported to VAX w/ additional pcc work isn't unreasonable? ;)

I am going to see if I can do a cvs update of /usr/src from Ultrix, to
compare to the time it takes running a fairly recent NetBSD (although I
suspect the NetBSD will hang before completing). That will both give me
some numbers to compare with, and then we'll have a hung machine, in
case someone actually are interested in trying to work out what the
problems are. I have tried looking at it in the past, but not really
been able to figure it out.

I'll be back later.

Johnny