Re: VAXstation 3100/m76 stray interrupt

On 2016-08-16 22:00, Mouse wrote:
Slightly disappointing though to hear though.

Yes, I didn't expect it would exactly be thrilling news. :-/

I did originally wonder if it was a memory error.  I spent quite a
bit of time a few months ago trying shuffling and removing memory
SIMMs.  It's odd that OpenBSD and VMS do not do the same.

It doesn't sound all that odd to me.  It's entirely possible that one
OS uses the memory location with the faulty bit (assuming that's
actually what's behind it, that is) for something - kernel code, for
example - that doesn't happen to tickle the error, but the other uses
it for something else - userland data, for example - that does.

It's possible, but I would not really expect one OS to hardly be able to boot, and the other ones running happily without problems. (Especially as I suspect OpenBSD would have a rather similar memory use pattern to NetBSD.)

That said, I have not booted my 3100/76 in many years, and have no idea if there might be some other issues possible.

I would suggest running VMS on the box for a while, and try to stress the memory subsystem a lot. VMS have excellent error logging and management, so if you have any problems, you should be able to get more details that way. There is also built in tests in the machine, that could be used. But you'll need to find the manual to work out which tests to run. Maybe bitsavers have them, I haven't checked.

	Johnny