Re: NetBSD hardclock overhead growth

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015, John Klos wrote:

I have the 1.3 ROM. There are two obvious possibilities:

The 1.2 ROM initializes the cache tags properly. This doesn't seem likely because the notes which talked about the upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3 didn't mention anything about the cache.

Or... my cache has a defective page (or two, or three) whereas yours does not, so my machine's cache doesn't get enabled because the code is meant for the KA660 and doesn't take in to account bad pages.

I'll have to do some tests to see if I can get my cache enabled. Yay!

  I've added some test to get some of the information from the registers.

VAXstation 4000 VLC
ka48: CCR = 0x10, BWF0=0x420000d0, BEHR=0x000000ff
total memory = 24188 KB
avail memory = 19228 KB
--
VAXstation 4000 VLC
ka48: CCR = 0x10, BWF0=0x420000d0, BEHR=0x02e000ff

The first two were from one of my VLC systems and shows that it has all 8 banks of cache. The second one was from another VLC and looks like one bank is missing on that. A third VLC I wasn't able to boot from to look at.

You can see that I was able to read the BEHR register on my systems, so I'm also not sure why John was getting a panic trying to read it.

Mike

---
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Operations Consulting,  Information Technology Center
Montana State University, Bozeman, MT     USA