Re: NetBSD hardclock overhead growth

Hi.

On 2015-08-16 21:03, John Klos wrote:
Hi,

I was testing various versions of NetBSD on a VAXstation VLC to look at
performance over time and attempting to characterize hardclock overhead.
I have NetBSD 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 6, 7 and current all NFS bootable. All were
booted single user so no other daemons were running (just init and sh).

It seems that code generation hasn't changed enough to be a factor in
small synthetic benchmarks such as benchmarks/dhrystone.

Thanks! I have been wanting to do this for a long time... Another thing that would be interesting is checking file performance. bonnie or something similar should be good enough.

Each compile was timed:
time cc -O2  -DMSC_CLOCK    dhry_1.c dhry_2.c  -o dry2

dry2 binary sizes:
1.4:    13801
1.5:    13822
1.6:    10687
6:    11968

NetBSD 1.4 results:
        69.05 real        54.71 user        10.61 sys
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:  396.0
Dhrystones per Second:                      2525.3

NetBSD 1.5 results:
        75.36 real        57.13 user        10.58 sys
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:  427.0
Dhrystones per Second:                      2341.9

NetBSD 1.6 results:
        97.40 real        80.31 user        10.98 sys
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:  444.5
Dhrystones per Second:                      2249.7

NetBSD 6 results:
       278.23 real       229.45 user        33.60 sys
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:  472.2
Dhrystones per Second:                      2117.7
1.6 binary:
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:  465.6
Dhrystones per Second:                      2147.8

NetBSD 7 results (from NetBSD 6 binary since NetBSD 7 can't compile):
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:  489.8
Dhrystones per Second:                      2041.6

NetBSD 7 with 1.6 binary:
Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:  489.7
Dhrystones per Second:                      2042.1

(NetBSD 7 panics when trying to run aout binaries)

This isn't enough data to calculate hardclock overhead. Results from
another machine would be needed. I will have my (repaired) VAXstation
4000/90a back soon and will test again with that machine.

Interesting. So we have just about tripled compile time, and the resulting files are slightly slower (or else system overhead have increased to make performance drop.

Is anyone actively running NetBSD on an 11/780? :)

Not an 11/780, but anyway...
Krille:/usr/src# uname -a
NetBSD Krille.Update.UU.SE 5.99.44 NetBSD 5.99.44 (Krille) #387: Mon Jan 24 18:15:12 CET 2011 root%GW.SoftJAR.SE@localhost:/usr/obj/sys/arch/vax/compile/Krille vax
Krille:/usr/src# sysctl -a | grep hw
hw.machine = vax
hw.model = VAX 8650
hw.ncpu = 1
hw.byteorder = 1234
hw.physmem = 62914560
hw.usermem = 58363904
hw.pagesize = 4096
hw.disknames = ra0 ra1 ra2 ra3 ra4 ra5 ra6 ra7 ccd0
hw.machine_arch = vax
hw.alignbytes = 3
hw.cnmagic = \x27\x02
hw.physmem64 = 62914560
hw.usermem64 = 58363904
hw.iostatnames = ra0 ra1 ra2 ra3 ra4 ra5 ra6 ra7 ccd0 nfs0 nfs1
hw.ncpuonline = 1
Krille:/usr/src#

60 Meg, 2 Unibuses, 2*UDA-50 and 8*RA73, DELUA...
(Also one DMF-32 but I don't have that one configured in at the moment.)

	Johnny