Re: NetBSD hardclock overhead growth

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015, Johnny Billquist wrote:

On 2015-08-16 21:33, John Klos wrote:
Not an 11/780, but anyway...
Krille:/usr/src# uname -a
NetBSD Krille.Update.UU.SE 5.99.44 NetBSD 5.99.44 (Krille) #387: Mon
Jan 24 18:15:12 CET 2011
root%GW.SoftJAR.SE@localhost:/usr/obj/sys/arch/vax/compile/Krille vax
Krille:/usr/src# sysctl -a | grep hw
hw.machine = vax
hw.model = VAX 8650

What results do you get for your machine? The VLC and 8650 are supposed
to be about the same speed, but the 8650 has twice the cache...

With the binary you sent, and 100.000 iterations:

Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:  103.6
Dhrystones per Second:                      9652.5

Ok, this is very strange. I dug out one of my VLC systems and running the 5.1 pkgsrc version of dhrystone gives me:

Microseconds for one run through Dhrystone:   89.9
Dhrystones per Second:                      11123.5

8.8u 0.1s 0:10.89 82.4% 0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
# sysctl hw.model
hw.model = VAXstation 4000 VLC
# uname -v
NetBSD 7.99.19 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Aug 23 14:45:02 MDT 2015 mhitch@nuc.hitch:/home/mhitch/NetBSD-current/OBJ/vax/home/mhitch/NetBSD-current/src/sys/arch/vax/compile/GENERIC

  I don't know why John gets such poor results.

I wonder if the ROM version would make any difference, if there is some difference in how the system is initialized before booting.

  This is from the VLC I ran the above on:

KA48-A V1.2-32B-V4.0
08-00-2B-23-02-4B
24MB

Mike

---
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Operations Consulting,  Information Technology Center
Montana State University, Bozeman, MT     USA