Re: VAX4000/300

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 11:08:45PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2015-05-16 16:02, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> >On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 12:27:15AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> >>
> >>Correct. I have a sort of long term project on the back burner to write code
> >>for that, based on the Ultrix code, but it's going nowhere at the moment.
> >>Too many other things that keep me occupied.
> >
> >I wonder if we could get HP to contribute the Ultrix code.
>
> It would be really cool if we could actually get the Ultrix code release,
> yes.

I am pretty sure we can't get it all, because -- I believe -- it got
contaminated with SVR2 when they added support for System V IPC and
some userland stuff.  I had a 32V source license at the time and was
able to get earlier DEC Unix source code at a nominal cost under
educational licensing but somewhere around 3.0 Ultrix began to require
a System V license -- much more costly.

Given that the litigous corpse of SCO is still crawling around occasionally
making noise I suspect the chance HP would be willing to release even a
sanitized Ultrix source tree is minimal.  But maybe if we could find the
right person to ask for exactly the right files, we could get some of
the platform-specific code and clearly DEC-written code like the CI stuff,
as separate files.  Even today, it might be they could claim a tax deduction
if they donated the copyright to TNF.

--
 Thor Lancelot Simon	                                      tls%panix.com@localhost
"From the tooth paste you use in the morning to the salt on your evening meal,