Small MicroVAX IIs - what version? - was Re: NetBSD/vax current

On 13/04/14 4:35 PM, John Klos wrote:
I'm going to try and do some more testing, but I really can't see many
other explanations. I noticed that just booting NetBSD up on the
4000/90 grabbed more than 16M before the boot was complete, so with
only 16M it is going to be paging a lot.

NetBSD 6 runs OK on a VAXstation 4000/30 with 24 megs. Not great, but OK.

Any recommendations for a MicroVAX II with 9MB? I have 1.4.1 netbooting on it right now and it's pretty happy - was able to compile Apache 1.3.x, etc.

Is 1.5 okay for such a small system? I've read conflicting opinions.

http://vax.zia.io/

The hardware isn't as cool as an 11/785, but it's a bit more affordable
to run :)

   Well, get to it, man! ;)  I expect there will eventually be a fork of
NetBSD that will trim the fat and make it more usable.  Testing on
older, slower hardware would go a long way toward "keeping it honest".

Question is if anyone have the time, energy and money for that to happen?

It'd be nice to see pcc for VAX instead of gcc. gcc has way too much fat
and take way too long to do anything. And I wonder how much better an
entirely crunchgen'd NetBSD would be on a very low memory machine...

I wonder if lcc does a better job than pcc. lcc is ANSI and has a VAX code generator, that's fairly easy to modify.

https://sites.google.com/site/lccretargetablecompiler/

--Toby

John