Re: disklabel MAXPARTITIONS reversal

On 2013-04-09 18:50, Paul Koning wrote:

On 2013-04-09 18:34, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 09:02:31AM -0700, Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm wrote:

I'm not 100% sure what you want here.

Heh - my notebook runs warm whenever simh sits idle at the (guest OS)
console prompt. I want it to run cooler.

When a simulated clock tick happens, other
potential sources of external events are polled to determine if data
has arrived.  These include console and/or other simulated multiplexer
and network input.  So, the console and any other configured
multiplexer devices will be polled 100 times a second.

It might just happen to not work well with NetBSD cpu stats sampling, or
there might be a bug - I haven't investigated more closely. top shows
one cpu 100% busy, but that may be a missampling.

Anyway, I just wondered why it did not use blocking io and threads, and you
answered that - looking forward to newer versions.

Did you tell simh to idle based on NetBSD idle pattern?

SIMH VAX?  That doesn't work for current NetBSD -- the "NetBSD" idle setting is for an
older release, assuming it ever worked which I don't know.  I've looked at it to see how to fix
that -- it would be rather hard.  Probably the best way is to change the kernel to tell simh
explicitly, somewhat like is done on the Xen hosted version.  Given the way the NetBSD scheduler is
coded in V6, there is no reasonable way for simh to detect "idle".

Good point. It's been suggested in the past to use something like ipl 1 for such information, but I don't know if it ever got done.

I have not checked if current simh detects NetBSD idle or not. I can tell that it would appear it does on my system at home, as my machine is sitting mostly idle even though I'm running two VAX-8600 instances right now. But that is rather anecdotal (and one of those instances are running VMS, and the other 6.99).

        Johnny
        Johnny