Re: installboot is broken

On 2013-03-24 17:48, Martin Husemann wrote:
On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 04:39:45PM +0100, Anders Magnusson wrote:
Vax only have one bootblock which is installed in the first 16 sectors
on the disk.
The boot block is the same for all different disk types. Which is nice :-)

Yes, indeed - but Jonny claims the conversion to this sheme broke
preparation of completely zeroed/new disks for 11/750 and others (but
not for micro vaxen, which is the only hardware I have).

It is not the scheme of just one boot block that broken anything. I don't even remember when we ever actually had different boot blocks, but I have some vague memory that we might have had that a very long time ago.

But the current boot block works just fine on any VAX, if we just install it. The problem is that we don't. We instead have installboot just poke a couple of values in the boot block of a disk, which suffices for the MicroVAX, but do not actually install the boot block we have crafted.

To illustrate my current "trick". Let's assume that the installation CD is at /dev/ra1a, and I've just gone through the NetBSD installation procuedure, installing a system on /dev/ra0, with root on ra0a, and usr ra0d. Still running the installation system, but exiting sysinst:

==
mount /dev/ra0a /mnt
mount /dev/ra0d /mnt/usr
cd /mnt
disklabel ra0 > ra0.label
dd if=/mnt/usr/mdec/xxboot of=/dev/rra0c count=1
disklabel -R ra0 ra0.label
reboot
==

And you should be set.