Re: rtVAX300 .. need help..

On 2013-01-11 05:08, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 01/10/2013 11:04 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
I have a clear memory of playing with this, and I don't recall ever
playing much on an 11/10 or 11/05. I'm pretty sure it was on the
11/70...

Ah, yes. Checking the processor handbook, both the 11/44 and 11/70 have
the general registers at memory addresses for manipulating from the
front panel/console. Other do as well, but I'm not going to read
through
all documentation right now.
(The 1979 processor handbook, page 329 shows it for the 11/70 anyway.)

   So they do!  Wow, I've never run across that.

You've probably not sat as much in front of a PDP-11/70 front panel as
me... ;-)

   Probably not. ;)  I run it whenever I can, but my only front-panel
interaction with it is booting and demonstrating the toggling-in of
simple programs to visitors...never any actual debugging.

Sometimes that debugging isn't that fun though. The worst one have been when the timing generator card have been off a little. Really messy on the 11/70, and that card is all analog stuff. (Ie. black magic in my eyes...)

Broken core memory have also been kindof interesting. :-)
Machines are getting old, so occasionally, chips give up. (Although I stopped used core 20 years ago.)

But in general, it's really fun sitting on the front panel and program and single step code.

        Johnny