Performance problems.

I've been running the 8650 for a few days now, testing things, building, and fooling around.

As far as I can tell, something have seriously deteriorated in the kernel, and I suspect it's not the VAX specific bits, but as usual, it shows on the VAX.

The first thing I noticied was that a cvs update took way longer than it used to. A cvs update of /usr/src now takes me about 130 cpu minutes. It used to take maybe a fourth of that. So I started looking around, but I cannot easily find what is eating all that time. I do notice that the cpu spends an abnormal amount of time in system state.

While I became suspicious, it wasn't until today that I found another data point that makes me suspect something is seriously not done the right way now. I'm loosing a lot of clock interrupts! This should not be possible from normal usage of the system. But right now, with a few cvs updates going on, as well as a build of the world, I'm looking about 10 seconds on the clock, in about 10 minutes. It is bad enough that ntp is not able to sync.

Anyone else seen this, knows what could be affecting it, or care?
Or are all others just using modern fast machines, where all this don't really make a blip on the radar anyway, or else is not using their machines enough to make this visible?

I'd say something is seriously wrong in the kernel now, and noone is forcing the core to keep honest. :-)

Give me a little more time, and I'll be happy to set up NetBSD 2, or something similar, and run comparable things to tell how much slower things have gotten. I suspect it will show on system calls and file operations...

        Johnny